Fire damages ambulance headquarters

News Staff Writer

A predawn fire that broke out Saturday, June 13, in the electrical panel box at the headquarters shared by Atmore’s two ambulance services left the building without power and forced ambulances to stage operations from city fire stations for two days.
Atmore Fire Department personnel were sent to the 112 North Main Street building at 3:45 a.m. after a report that the panel box was “sparking.”
According to AFD reports, an employee of the ambulance service ran out to meet the firemen when they arrived, alerting them that “the kitchen (where the panel box is located) was on fire.” Firemen reported that “blue flames” were coming from the box when they made their way inside.
The fiery flare-up was brought under control with hand-held extinguishers, and exhaust fans were used to clear the smoke from the area. Firefighters cleared the scene at 5:15 a.m.
Fire Chief Ron Peebles said the damage to the structure was relatively minimal, except for the loss of electricity.
“They lost all power and had to totally rewire the panel box,” explained Peebles. “I talked with the mayor, and we let them stage from the fire stations, one at Station 2 (city hall) and one at Station 3 (Pensacola Avenue), over the weekend.”
The ambulances were back at the North Main building on Monday.