News Staff Report
Sherry Digmon will rejoin the Escambia County Board of Education after board members voted unanimously on September 7 to appoint her to fill the vacancy created by the recent death of David Nolin.
Digmon served as the school board’s District 6 representative from 2010 to 2016 but lost the District 6 seat to Nolin in the 2016 Republican Primary.
“I didn’t pursue this appointment,” Digmon said. “I was contacted by a couple of board members and people outside the board, asking me if I would finish David’s term. This is certainly not the ideal way to take a seat on the board, but I am honored to be asked.”
After board member Danny Benjamin made the motion to name Digmon as Nolin’s replacement, and Mike Edwards seconded the motion, the local newspaper publisher was appointed by a 6-0 roll call vote.
State law requires the local board to name a replacement within 30 days of the occurrence of a vacancy. If that is not done, such a selection would be made by the chairman of the state school board.
Nolin’s term was to expire in November 2022. Digmon will serve out the remainder of that term.
In other business, the board approved the following personnel recommendations.
Approval to enter into TEAMS contract with the following employees
1. Talia Wright, science teacher, Escambia County High School
2. Barbara Whatley, science teacher, Escambia County High School
3. Marcia Adams, math teacher, Escambia County Middle School
4. Tyler Parker, math teacher, Escambia County Middle School
5. Shannon Turner, science teacher, Flomaton High School
6. Memory Rollin, science teacher, Flomaton High School
7. Philip Bell, math teacher, Flomaton High School
8. Jeffrey Haney, math teacher, Flomaton High School
9. Julie Newton, math teacher, Flomaton High School
10. Rachael Knowles, math teacher, Pollard McCall Junior High School
1. Deborah Silcox, temporary / part-time, Special Education Services, Office of Special Education and Student Services, effective September 13, 2021
2. June Kent, temporary / part-time, Special Education Services, Office of Special Education and Student Services, effective September 8, 2021