Felony arrests

Expired tag, improper lights lead to felony drug charge


News Staff Writer

An Atmore woman was arrested on numerous charges, including felony drug possession and using a false identity, after her vehicle was pulled over because of an expired tag and improper lights.
According to Atmore Police Department Sgt. Darrell McMann, the arrest took place around 10:25 p.m. on October 13.
Reports show the officer who made the traffic stop “detected a strong odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle” as he approached it to speak with the driver, later identified as 52-year-old Annie Frye.
Frye, who provided a false name, was asked to step from the vehicle in order that a probable cause search could be conducted, due to the strong odor of marijuana coming from inside it. The search apparently didn’t turn up any pot but did turn up a glass pipe that contained a white, granular substance that field-tested positive for cocaine.
While the search was ongoing, Frye reportedly ran into a nearby wooded area but was taken into custody after a brief foot pursuit.
Once police learned the woman’s true identity, they discovered she had three outstanding arrest warrants, one each for driving with a suspended license, having improper lights on her vehicle and operating a vehicle with an expired tag.
Frye was charged with one count each of possession of a controlled substance (Class D felony), obstructing justice by using a false identity (Class C felony), possession of drug paraphernalia and attempting to elude a police officer.
She was booked into the Escambia County Detention Center (ECDC), where she remained Monday afternoon, October 16.
Also arrested on felony charges during the period October 11-16:
*No details were available, but the ECDC website shows that Shawn Abney, 49, of Atmore was arrested October 10 by Escambia County Sheriff’s Office deputies on a charge of second-degree assault.
Second-degree assault is a Class C felony that occurs when a person intentionally causes physical injury to another person.
Abney remained in the county jail late Monday afternoon, October 16.