Headlines News

Rounsavall released on $500K bond


News Staff Writer

Atmore businessman Shawn Rounsavall was released from the Escambia County Detention Center last week after spending just over three months behind bars.
According to an employee of the jail’s booking and release division, Rounsavall’s $500,000 bond was posted May 30 by an area bonding agency. A request by Rounsavall’s attorney for a reduction in the bond had been rejected earlier by District Court Judge Eric Coale.
The local businessman, owner of 30 Below ice cream parlor and principal in at least two other companies, had been jailed since February 27.
He was initially charged with reckless murder after his 2-year-old son was found dead in Rounsavall’s truck. According to police reports, the toddler had been left unattended inside the vehicle for an estimated eight hours after his father forgot to drop him off at a local daycare center.
A grand jury indictment included the addition of simple (intentional) murder as an alternative to the reckless murder charge, as well as perjury after grand jurors learned that Rounsavall lied to court officials at his initial appearance, telling them he was indigent.
According to a May 31 Facebook post by Rounsavall’s wife, Kelly Kayy White, she was concerned that her safety, and the safety of her 5-year-old son Hunter, might be in jeopardy with her husband out of jail.
“The sheriff’s office didn’t even give me a phone call or warning or anything, but I talked to Mr. (Atmore Police Chief Chuck) Brooks yesterday after the fact,” the post reads. “I worry about our safety.”
Rounsavall’s bond reportedly also included several sanctions or conditions, but that information was not available by Tuesday’s press deadline.
The police chief, who said the local businesswoman had expressed her intent to seek a protective order, confirmed this week that city police were dispatched to The Heat Sports Grill on North Main Street, which is owned and operated by Kelly White, around 4:30 p.m. last Friday, June 2, when Rounsavall showed up there. (The restaurant is adjacent to and shares common space with 30 Below).
Brooks said APD officers talked with both parties and the issue was resolved peacefully.