By DON FLETCHER
News Staff Writer
Witnesses who were inside the McDonald’s on South Main Street when gunfire erupted Sunday night said a female employee fired “several shots” inside the restaurant after being assaulted by her former boyfriend.
Atmore police have labeled the gunfire “an accidental discharge,” and said the female “is signing warrants” on the man who attacked her. Nobody was injured by flying bullets.
The first police report, issued Monday morning, February 27, indicated “there was a shot fired,” during the incident. Police were “waiting on video to determine if it was accidental or not.”
Later Monday APD reported that: “The shot fired at McDonalds was an accidental discharge when the person holding the gun fell down during an argument.”
A woman who said she witnessed the initial altercation and the shooting said it all happened inside the restaurant, causing employees to evacuate the building in a hurry.
“After the man beat the worker, the worker fired shots inside of the restaurant and we all had to run for our lives,” the woman said.
McMann said the investigation has not turned up any evidence that the shots were fired inside the fast food establishment.
“As with everything, a lot of inaccurate information (is) floating around,” the APD investigator said. “I wasn’t told that and I talked to the victim and a general manager.”
McMann added that the alleged assailant has several misdemeanor charges pending against him and that the victim, who is the suspect’s ex-girlfriend, told police she would seek a warrant against him.
No arrest had been reported late Tuesday morning, February 28.