News Staff Report
The Atmore Area Chamber of Commerce is holding their first Big Summer Blow Out Thursday, July 18.
The schedule is as follows:
* 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. – after hours shopping event
* 5:30 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. – downtown Community Walking Audit.
According to Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Emily Wilson, this is actually a workshop that begins at the Chamber office.
The purpose of the workshop is to identify how to make Atmore a safer, more walkable community. As part of the workshop, participants will break into teams to visit and rate nearby roadways (broken into zones) and locations by asking and answering questions such as:
* Can pedestrians safely and easily walk on the sidewalks?
* Do pedestrians have enough time to get across the street?
* Are there spots where pedestrians should be able to walk or cross but can’t?
Participants will walk only a short distance. Please wear comfortable clothes, and be prepared for changeable weather (umbrella, sunglasses, etc.). After the walk audit participants will return to the Chamber to submit their findings (a worksheet for notes will be provided).
For additional information about the audit, to volunteer or register, please contact the Chamber.
* 7:15 p.m. – community bike parade begins between First National Bank & Trust north branch and The Yellow Garden. Using a temporary bike lane, the ride goes down Trammell Street to the splash pad.
* 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. – splash pad glow party
The event is free.
At the splash pad, participants may support Youth Leadership Atmore by purchasing a dinner plate of hot dogs, chips, and drink from Pepsi-Cola Bottling Co. of Atmore. Everyone is asked to help support the Atmore Area Christian Care Ministry by bringing a canned food item to the splash pad for donation. All donors will receive a glow bracelet to be worn during the event.
For those participating in the evenings activities other than the splash pad but wishing to donate canned goods, please feel free to bring them to the Chamber from 5 p.m. to 6:45 p.m.