Seven outstanding citizens will be inducted in the Atmore Area Hall of Fame April 28: Athletics – Willie Parker and Earl Miller; Government – Stephanie Bryan and Weldon Vickrey; Business – Dale Ash and Bill Farr; Medicine – Ima Joan Helton-Crawford
The induction ceremony and dinner will be held Saturday, April 28, 6 p.m., at The Club, Highway 21, Atmore. Tickets, $25 each, are available at Atmore News and United Bank. Note: Everyone must have a ticket to attend the ceremony and dinner. All former inductees are invited to attend at no cost, courtesy of the Hall of Fame Committee.
This week, Atmore News features inductee Earl Miller. Information provided by the Hall of Fame Committee and the inductee’s family.
Earl Miller graduated from Escambia County High School in 1971. He graduated from Troy State University in 1976 with a B.S. in physical education and a minor in biology.
Miller’s stellar career in high school baseball has earned him dozens of accolades including one of the highest honors – induction into the Alabama High School Athletic Association (AHSAA) Sports Hall of Fame in 2016.
While serving as head coach at G. W. Long High School in Dale County (1991-2005), Miller’s record was 407-133. In 14 of 16 years, his teams earned play-off berths.
Among his honors:
* 2000 NFHS/NFCA South Section Baseball Coach of the Year (National Award)
* Alabama Baseball Coaches Association Class of 2003 Hall of Fame
* Wiregrass Hall of Fame Class of 2007
* 3 times named WAC Conference Coach of the Year
* 6 times named ABCA Coach of the Year (Alabama Baseball Coaches Association)
* 6 times named SCAC Coach of the Year
* 10 times named AHSADCA Coach of the Year
* 6 times named Dothan Eagle Coach of the Year
* won 3 2A State Titles
* won 7 1A State Titles
* won 6 State Titles in a row
His players’ achievements include the following:
* 2 Alabama Mr. Baseball
* 6 Super All-State 1st Team
* 23 1A/2A All -State 1st Team
* 2 Honorable Mention/USA Today All-USA Baseball Team
* 7 Dothan Eagle Players of the Year
* 22 Dothan Eagle Super 12 Team
* 1 National Homerun Champion
Miller is married to Rita Vickery Miller. They have three sons and six grandchildren.
He is the son of Patsy Miller and the late Earl Miller Jr., and the son-in-law of Ruth Vickery and the late Buddy Vickery.