Featured Headlines News

Fugitive nabbed here – Boston murder suspect found on Bragg Street


For the second time in slightly more than a month, a fugitive from another state’s justice system has been found hiding in Atmore.

U.S. Marshals, reportedly backed by several Atmore Police Department investigators and patrol officers, launched a sunrise, August 15, raid on a Bragg Street residence and reportedly took Andre Henderson, 34, into custody without incident.

Henderson is charged with murder by Boston police in the June 26 street shooting of another man in Boston’s Mattapen neighborhood. He was reportedly the only person at the Atmore residence when authorities came knocking.

The suspect was reportedly released on bond shortly after his arrest on the Massachusetts murder charge and almost immediately fled to Atmore, where he had reportedly lived for almost two months before he was located and captured last week.

Atmore Police Chief Chuck Brooks would neither confirm nor deny that his officers played a role in bringing in the accused killer.

“The U.S. Marshals were in town; they were looking for somebody on a murder warrant, and they arrested somebody,” Brooks said Monday. “I don’t have any details. They call us and tell us they’re here; they do what they have to do, and they leave.”

Escambia County Detention Center records show that Henderson was turned over to Boston Police Fugitive Unit detectives on Monday. According to a brief article posted on Universalhub.com on Tuesday, he was scheduled for arraignment on the murder charge Tuesday afternoon in Dorchester Municipal Court.

The arrest marked the second time in about five weeks that an out-of-state fugitive was caught here.

In late July, a county deputy made a traffic stop and eventually discovered that the driver was Ricky Lee Waters, 60, one of the 10 most wanted criminals in Texas.

Waters had jumped parole on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon, which was filed against him while he was already on parole for aggravated rape, aggravated assault and attempted murder charges.

He apparently came to Atmore, where he had evaded bounty hunters, marshals and other law enforcement officers for two decades before the traffic stop uncovered his past.