ECDC official: Online report of murder suspect’s release inaccurate
By DON FLETCHER
News Staff Writer
Despite an online report to the contrary, officials of the Escambia County Detention Center (ECDC) said last week the Mobile teen who shot and killed an Atmore man in late July is still securely behind bars.
Jail officers said published reports, that 19-year-old Antonio LeMarcus Pettaway II had been released on bond, are incorrect.
Pettaway is being held on a murder charge in the July 25 shooting death of 22-year-old Jatyrain Aquamini “Tank” Tolbert. The Mobile teen was out on bond when the fatal shooting took place after his arrest a year ago for taking a weapon onto the campus of a Mobile high school.
He is accused of firing a shot from a 9mm handgun through the door of the vehicle in which Tolbert was sitting on Ann Street. Tolbert was struck in the abdomen and later died from the wound.
Police said the victim and Pettaway were arguing over a faulty Glock Switch (a device that converts a semi-automatic handgun to automatic) that Pettaway reportedly sold to Tolbert.
Officials said the accused killer has been in jail since he surrendered to authorities on August 3. He was initially denied bond, but District Court Judge Eric Coale allowed him a $500,000 bond during a recent reduction hearing.
The online article stated that Pettaway was released on bond at 9:45 a.m. on Friday, September 1.
ECDC officials said it didn’t happen.
“He is still in jail. Not sure where that info came from.,” reads a September 13 email from a high-ranking jail officer in response to questions about the reported release.
According to the jail’s website, Pettaway was still behind bars as late as 9:15 a.m. Tuesday, September 19).