News Staff Report
Qualifying for the 2022 Alabama Republican Party Primary opened Tuesday, January 4, and ends Friday, January 28, 2022, at 5 p.m.
Offices in Escambia County on this year’s ballot include the following:
- Sheriff – incumbent Heath Jackson
- District Attorney – incumbent Steve Billy
- Circuit Judge Place 2 – incumbent Judge Todd Stearns
- County Commissioner, District 1 – incumbent Steven Dickey (appointed by Gov. Kay Ivey to finish David Stokes’ term)
- County Commissioner, District 3 – incumbent Scottie Stewart
- County Commissioner, District 5 – incumbent Karean Reynolds
- School Board, District 4 – incumbent Cindy Jackson
- School Board, District 6 – incumbent Sherry Digmon (appointed by the School Board to finish the late David Nolin’s term)
County candidates need to contact Jackie Gay at 251-809-4322 to inquire about running for office. It is not done online. This includes sheriff, school board and county commissioners.
Others such as district attorney, judge, legislative office, etc. may contact Gay for info on how to qualify through the state party which can be done online or at the state party headquarters in Birmingham in person.
Positions up for election statewide are as follows:
- Alabama Constitutional Offices (Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, Commissioner of Agriculture and Industry, Treasurer, and State Auditor)
- One U.S. Senate seat
- All U.S. House seats
- Two (2) Alabama Supreme Court seats
- Two (2) Public Service Commission seats
- Four (4) Alabama Board of Education seats
- All Alabama House of Representatives seats
- All Alabama Senate seats
- All District Attorney positions
- Dozens of Circuit and District Court judicial seats
Anyone wishing to qualify for the Republican ballot statewide can do so online at www.algop.org or in person at ALGOP headquarters (3505 Lorna Road, Birmingham, AL 35216).
All qualifying forms and fees must be received no later than 5 p.m. CST on Friday, January 28, 2022. Failure to do so will result in the denying of ballot access.
Additional information about the qualifying process can be found on the ALGOP website (www.algop.org), or by calling ALGOP headquarters at 205.212.5900.