Masks will be optional for students, faculty
News Staff Report
The Escambia County Board of Education met in special session Wednesday, October 20, to address the mask requirement and personnel items.
Board member Sherry Digmon made the motion to lift the mask requirement in schools as of October 29. At the September 20 meeting, the board voted to extend the requirement until October 29 when the Covid situation in schools would be reassessed. Digmon’s motion was seconded by Loumeek White. The vote was 4-3 in favor of lifting the requirement October 29.
Of course, masks are optional for those who choose to continue to wear them.
However, all students, regardless of age or vaccination status, who ride Escambia County School buses are required to wear masks. This is a mandate issued by the Federal Department of Transportation.
The following personnel recommendations by Superintendent Michele McClung were approved by the board.
1. Tyler Reid, college student worker, Brewton Central Office, effective October 1, 2021
2. Scotty Benton, elementary teacher, Escambia County Middle School, effective September 27, 2021
3. Lillian Dean, special education instructional aide, Huxford Elementary School, effective October 6, 2021
4. Katherine Hodges, 6-hour lunchroom worker, Rachel Patterson Elementary School, effective August 16, 2021
5. Taylor Pace, special education teacher, W.S. Neal Middle School, effective August 6, 2021 (Amended date)
6. Chassidy Nall, bus driver, Brewton Bus Shop, effective October 19, 2021
1. Debra Smith, teacher aide, Rachel Patterson Elementary School, effective October 1, 2021
1. Andrea Godbolt, central operations clerk, Brewton Central Office, effective November 1, 2021 (replacing Linda Stevenson)
2. Canon Borst, social studies teacher, Escambia County High School, effective October 4, 2021 (replacing Johnathan Kent)
3. D’Atra Howard, elementary teacher, Escambia County Middle School, effective September 29, 2021 (replacing Karie Richburg)
4. Beverly VanHoosen, 7-hour lunchroom worker, Pollard McCall Junior High School, effective October 11, 2021 (replacing Alyssa Williams)
5. Allison Nall, special education aide, W.S. Neal Middle School, effective October 29, 2021 (replacing April Parker)
6. Pamela Tomlinson, bus driver, Atmore Bus Shop, effective September 27, 2021 (replacing Robert Spicer)
1. Deloris Johnson, pre-k program instructional aide, Rachel Patterson Elementary School, to elementary teacher, Rachel Patterson Elementary School, effective September 21, 2021 (replacing Carol Hughes)
2. Brenda Samuel, 7-hour lunchroom worker, W.S. Neal High School, to 6-hour lunchroom worker, W.S. Neal Elementary School, effective November 1, 2021 (replacing Joni Simpson)
1. Quaunhntel Hill, custodian, Rachel Patterson Elementary School, effective September 27, 2021 (replacing Charles Jackson) (amended employment)