Special to Atmore News
City firefighters spent less than 40 minutes battling a Sunday afternoon (April 18) kitchen fire that caused moderate damage to a Tumbling Lane residence.
Atmore Fire Department reports show that units were dispatched at 3:17 p.m. to the rural site, which is in the Canoe community. Firemen arrived six minutes later and were able to bring the small blaze under control by 4 p.m.
AFD personnel contained the damage to the kitchen area, where food left unattended on the stove had ignited, causing damage to the area around the appliance.
“All the damage was in the kitchen,” Fire Chief Ron Peebles said. “There was smoke and water damage, and some of it burned, but it never got farther than the kitchen.”
No one was injured in the incident, and the homeowners’ insurance carrier had not assessed the dollar-value of the damage by mid-week.