Headlines News

Destructive blazes

In photo at top, smoke billows from a Beck Street home that caught fire early Saturday, January 2. City firefighters were dispatched at 7:31 a.m., arrived three minutes later, and spent nearly 90 minutes battling the blaze, which was blamed on an electrical short. The home was declared a total loss. In photo at below, AFD Chief Ron Peebles provides instruction as Firefighter Trent Peebles directs water onto a January 4 fire that heavily damaged a Brown Street residence and claimed the life of the family pet. The origin and cause of the blaze, which was reported at 10:20 p.m. and took two hours to quell, is unknown.