News Staff Report
In observance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2019, several events are planned by Concerned Citizens of Atmore, along with other organizations and businesses.
The theme is “Unity Keeps the Dream Alive.”
The national theme is “Remember! Celebrate! Act! A Day On … Not A Day Off.”
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Annual Unity Prayer Breakfast will be held Saturday, January 19, 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Atmore Community Hospital Mayson Auditorium. The program will feature prayers by local pastors and special guests.
Breakfast is $15 per person. Tickets are available from any CCOA member or you may pay at the door.
The parade will be held Monday, January 21, with line up 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., at Houston Avery Park. The parade will roll promptly at 10 a.m.
Escambia County Middle School music director Conrad Weber will serve as the grand marshal. Also scheduled to participate are Hillcrest High School Band, Conecuh County, and the NJROTC Color Guard, Northview High School.
Please note the following concerning parade entries:
* Parade entry fee is $10 per unit (floats and vehicles).
* All floats entering the contest will have a $20 entry fee. Floats must be ready for judging at 9 a.m. The first place float will receive $150; the second place float will receive $100; the third place will receive $75.
* All other float entries will receive an honorable mention.
* All funds will be used 100 percent in the community
* Parade applications are available at the Unity House, North Main Street, in the mailbox.
* All applications must be complete with a copy of your auto insurance attached.
* All applications must be turned in by Friday, January 18, 10 a.m. until 7 p.m.; or Saturday, January 19, 3 p.m. until 7 p.m.
MLK memorial program
Everyone is asked to return to the park for a short Dr. M.L. King program, entertainment, food / drinks and fellowship.
For more information about the events around Martin Luther King Day, please call 251-294-0138 or 205-243-6166.